Friday, August 28, 2015

Weight Loss, Disney Style

I am taking a break from posting about Annie to get a little personal. Annie fans, I apologize. I used to blog all the time, (for 7 years actually), and sometimes I need a space to share my life.

I am, at this very moment, re-posting all of my posts from our Disneyland trip from September 2013 to this blog. 

At that time I had ballooned to my highest weight ever, (more deets on that in a sec), and have since lost 30 pounds. I lost 15 pound between each of our Disney trips. Want to see what a difference 15 pounds can make? How about 30? :)
May of 2012, I became very sick. We had no idea what was going on. I was tested for everything you can think of. Literally. I am not exaggerating. On top of feeling like I was dying, (again not exaggerating), and tons of troubling symptoms, I started gaining weight like never before and I wasn't able to lose it either, (yes, we checked my thyroid a few times then). 

Finally in May 2014 I got my answer. I had a gallbladder attack. Turned out my gallbladder had been very sick for years, (and causing all kinds of lovely symptoms, including, but not limited to, vomiting blood, extreme nausea and not being able to get out of bed for days at a time- over a two year period!). After it came out I felt much better. I don't feel 100%, but so much better. For those two years, I functioned at about 30%. Now I am functioning above 80% everyday. My body is in constant pain, but at least I don't have that crummy, can't get out of bed feeling. You don't want to know what I would rate myself if I included my pain in the percentage-my 80%+ only means the crummy feeling. 

Now, I know 30 pounds in a year is something to be celebrated. Any weight loss is. BUT, I had become extremely frustrated!  I know how my body usually loses weight and 30 pounds in a year is not that much. In 2011, I lost 20 pounds in 2 months- working out and eating healthy. No gimmicks, just hard work. 20 pounds in 2 months then vs. 30 pounds in a YEAR now, (and this year I ate infinitely better than I did in those 2 months). I am eating better than I ever have in my entire life, (not exaggerating), and still have to fight to lose weight. Instead of losing the usual 1-2 pounds a week, I will lose about 1 pound in 2 weeks! It became exhausting and I was about to give up.

Finally on our 14 hour drive to Disney World, I looked up a possible correlation between gallbladder and weight.  JACKPOT. Turns out a sick gallbladder (me from May 2012-May 2014) or a missing gallbladder (me since June 2014), will cause your body to gain weight easier and it will be harder to lose weight. 

Ok, that news stinks, but it was so liberating! Now at least I know why I am struggling to lose weight. Now I know I just have to keep fighting! It will take me longer than it used to and longer than the average person, but I can do it! I am 40 pounds away from my goal. Sadly, I should have been at my goal weight this month, IF my body was functioning like a normal person.  :/  As much as I would like to already be at my goal weight, and it will be over a year until I do hit my goal weight, a year from now I will be successful. So thinking it will take a year makes me sad, but knowing my new gallbladder hurdle, I will celebrate every pound. And celebrate next year!

30 down, 40 to go. Almost half way there. YEA! 

No comments:

Post a Comment